Pretoria-Media Release 18 December 2008 Statement by Cardinal Wilfrid Napier OFM, Spokesman for the Southern African Catholic Bishops’ Conference.
South Africa must isolate Mugabe
1. As world leaders and people everywhere express their horror at the rapidly deteriorating humanitarian crisis in Zimbabwe, we, the Catholic bishops of South Africa, Botswana and Swaziland, add our voice to the cries of those who insist that no effort must be spared in ensuring that a political solution to the current impasse is found. This is the indispensable first step towards stopping the current collapse of the country so that a new effort to rebuilding it can begin. Continue reading South Africa must isolate Mugabe→
Mike Deeb OP – Sent by Biddyy Rose Tiernan, SND
1. Why is Democracy an Issue Now?
1.1 For the past six years (and especially the last two) a fierce succession battle has been raging in the ANC
– It began with the accusations of corruption against Jacob Zuma and his dismissal as Deputy President – followed later by formal charges being laid, that still have not yet come to court.
– Accusations of conspiracy were leveled against Cyril Ramaphosa, Tokyo Sexwale and Mathews Phosa.
– Thabo Mbeki decided to stand for a third term as ANC President in the face of extreme anger against him due to (inter alia):
• The appointment of provincial premiers and mayors over local choices; Continue reading South Africa: Strengthening our Democracy for the Common Good→