We are fast approaching the March 16 date on which President Trump’ re-written Executive Order will take effect. As you well know, the order will discriminate against individuals from certain countries and grind the refugee resettlement program to a halt. It also significantly reduces the number of refugees we welcome in the United States, turning our backs on more than 60,000 individuals who we have pledged to protect. After the first refugee and Muslim ban was stopped by litigation and thousands mobilizing at airports it is time to once again show up and resist these unjust and discriminatory policies.
Take Action! We are calling for community mobilizations at airports on Thursday, March 16th to publicly oppose Trump’s refugee ban.
As we face the worst displacement crisis in history with over 21 million refugees, now is the time to live up to our values of compassion, hospitality, and welcome. Trump’s re-written Executive Order is morally reprehensible and does not reflect the welcome of communities across the United States. It is critical that President Trump and all Members of Congress hear their constituents decry this order and declare their support for refugees.
Use this toolkit to join together with refugee resettlement agencies, refugee leaders, faith leaders, and community members to host a mobilization at your local airport and bear witness in opposition to the refugee and Muslim ban.
Visit CounterAct.blog and getgroundgame.com/airportprotests.html to see events happening near you. We want to highlight all events on a map so that community members will be able to get your event details and join you in action. Click to add your events: http://bit.ly/RWEventReg.
Call Congress Today: Also, please call your Senators and Representatives at tel:(202) 224-3121 TODAY and EVERY DAY until the ban is rescinded. Tell them you support the refugee resettlement program and oppose President Trump’s executive orders against refugees.
“I’m your constituent from [City, State], and I support refugee resettlement. I strongly oppose President Trump’s executive order against refugees – both the original and the rewritten version. The order will bar individuals from Syria, Iran, Libya, Somalia, Sudan, and Yemen; grind refugee resettlement from all countries to a halt; and reduce the number of refugees we welcome to 50,000, a historic low. This is morally reprehensible and does not reflect the welcome for refugees I see in my community every day. I urge you to do everything in your power to see this executive order rescinded.”
Here are some additional actions you can take:
(1) TWEET @realDonaldTrump & [ https://twitter.com/whitehouse ]@WhiteHouse
• [@realDonaldTrump & @WhiteHouse Don’t stop welcoming refugees. Resettlement demonstrates the best of our values #RefugeesWelcome #GreaterAs1
• @realDonaldTrump & @WhiteHouse Keep America welcoming. Refugee resettlement is a proud American legacy with bipartisan support #RefugeesWelcome #GreaterAs1
• Countering ‘alternative facts’ with real ones. FACT: #Refugees are the most vetted people to enter the US. #RefugeesWelcome #GreaterAs1
• [ mailto:.@RealDonaldTrump ].@RealDonaldTrump & @WhiteHouse: Today’s EO is the same unconstitutional EO we saw last month & we are still against it. #GreaterAs1 #RefugeesWelcome
• [ mailto:.@realDonaldTrump ].@realDonaldTrump & @WhiteHouse Denying Muslim refugees safety is an affront to religious liberty #RefugeesWelcome [ http://interfaithimmigration.org/5000religiousleaderletter/ ] interfaithimmigration.org/5000religiousleaderletter/
• [ mailto:.@realDonaldTrump ].@realDonaldTrump & @WhiteHouse More than 4,000 faith leaders are opposed to any policy that would keep Muslim refugees from seeking safety: [ http://interfaithimmigration.org/5000religiousleaderletter/ ]interfaithimmigration.org/5000religiousleaderletter/
(2) SEND THE SAME MESSAGE to [ http://whitehouse.gov/contact ]whitehouse.gov/contact and comment on a post on the White House Facebook page: [ https://www.facebook.com/WhiteHouse/ ]Facebook.com/WhiteHouse
(3) Reach out to your partners in the business, health, educator, law enforcement, and faith community! Urge them to sign onto these sector-specific letters supporting resettlement and opposing discrimination:
• bit.ly Educators4Refugees
• [ http://bit.ly/LawEnforcement4Refugees ]bit.ly/LawEnforcement4Refugees
• [ http://bit.ly/Health4Refugees ]bit.ly/Health4Refugees
• [ http://bit.ly/FaithLeaders4Refugees ]bit.ly/FaithLeaders4Refugees
As Americans and as people of faith, we cannot turn our backs on the refugees we pledged to welcome. We must stand together and mobilize against these discriminatory policies. Please spread the word and have everyone you know share this take action!
Thank you for all your work and support!
Ann Scholz, SSND, PhD
Associate Director for Social Mission
Leadership Conference of Women Religious
8808 Cameron St.
Silver Spring MD, 20910
[ tel:(301)%20588-4955 ]301-588-4955
[ mailto:firstname.lastname@example.org ]email@example.com
[ https://www.facebook.com/lcwr.org ]facebook.com/lcwr.org
[ http://www.lcwr.org/ ]www.lcwr.org